"To whom much has been given, much will be expected." (Luke 12:48)
Being a student-athlete at San Diego Christian College is a privilege. With privileges come expectations. The Athletic Department of San Diego Christian College exists to help student-athletes grow academically, physically, and spiritually. Student-athletes are responsible for upholding to the policies and procedures present in the student handbook. In July 2009, the Athletic Department produced a new version of the Student-Athlete Handbook, which will support and compliment the existing policies and procedures.
Click here for the Student-Athlete Handbook
San Diego Christian College serves to strengthen each and every student in their walk with Jesus Christ. As a Department, we strive to reach student-athletes where they are and support their dreams by helping them become a light into a dark world. Teams share devotionals, attend mission trips, and foster spiritual growth within the talent God has given them. Our goal for each student-athlete is humility and a heart to serve others while displaying a Christ-like attitude on and off the playing surface. Each student-athlete is expected to uphold the Christian values of San Diego Christian College both on campus and off.
All eligibility functions for the NAIA are now handled through PlayNAIA. Click on the PlayNAIA icon for more information on eligibility as it pertains to the NAIA.
Becoming eligible and remaining eligible is the responsibility of the student-athlete. Student-athletes should take their education seriously and do everything they can to ensure they are eligible to play. Student-athletes entering San Diego Christian College are encouraged to consult with their counselor to determine eligibility issues (it is also advised to be informed of all NAIA and GSAC policies concerning eligibility). Student-athletes are encouraged to consult the NAIA web site (link provided below) to determine their eligibility prior to contacting the coach. The Head Coach is the main recruiter for their respective sport and therefore determines the makeup of the team.
Simple rules the Athletic Department of San Diego Christian College upholds in relation to a student-athlete being ineligible are:
- The NAIA and GSAC require that eligibility checks are done prior to the start of the team's first competition and during their respective sport season:
- Volleyball, Soccer, Cross Country – August
- Basketball – October
- Baseball - September and January
- Returning ineligible student-athletes may not be eligible to receive athletic aid (scholarship) until all SDC, GSAC, and NAIA eligibility requirements are met. It is the responsibility of the returning student-athlete to do everything they can to gather information and checking procedures to ensure that they are eligible to play when they return the following semester.
- To be eligible to compete in any sport at a GSAC institution, a third (3rd) semester or a fourth (4th) quarter student and thereafter, must have at the time of competition a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 (computed over the usual 4.0 scale) for all college level units attempted, completed, and awarded a letter grade.
- Once ineligible the Head Coach has the right to remove a student-athlete from the team for not complying with SDC, GSAC, and NAIA rules and regulations.
- While ineligible the Head Coach has the right to allow or deny ineligible student-athletes to continue practicing with the team.
If you have further questions, please contact the San Diego Christian College Athletic Department (619-201-8766)