|San Diego Christian 5-3||29||32||61|
|Dec. 12, 2015|
|El Cajon, CA|
|Embry-Riddle||Indv. Leaders||San Diego Christian|
|#04 SKURDAL, Logan - 15||Points||#05 DUNKLIN, Dalante - 21|
|#22 CARROLL, Spencer - 5||Rebounds||#23 RICHARDSON, Josh - 12|
|#03 AGOSTINO, Nick - 4||Assists||#12 LAMBERT, Michael - 3|
|Embry-Riddle||Team Statistics||San Diego Christian|
|44.9% (22 - 49)||Field Goals %||36.4% (24 - 66)|
|46.2% (6 - 13)||3 Point Field Goals %||20% (4 - 20)|
|76.9% (10 - 13)||Free Throws||69.2% (9 - 13)|
|8||2nd Chance Pts||16|
EL CAJON, Calif. – The SDC men's basketball team had to hold their breath as the potential game-winning shot from Embry-Riddle fell short for a 61-60 win over the Eagles Saturday night.
INSIDE THE MATCHUP:
Final: San Diego Christian 61 | Embry-Riddle 60
Records: Hawks 5-3 | Eagles 0-7
INSIDE THE GAME:
• A Trevor English 3-pointer gave the Hawks an 11-4 lead in the first half at the 16:14 mark.
• Embry-Riddle answered with a 9-0 run to retake the two point lead, with SDC trailing 13-11.
• The leads would go back and forth until six minutes remaining. The Eagles took the lead again as Nick Agostino's jumper gave ERAZ the two-point lead with 6:33 on the board.
• The Eagles grew their lead to by as much as seven with just over a minute left in the first.
• A layup by Antonio Austin cut the deficit by five heading into halftime.
• Turnovers and missed shots were the culprit to start the second half as the Hawks didn't see a lead in the half until the eight minute mark.
• Embry-Riddle retook the lead in the seesaw battle affair with 3:09 to go in the game, 57-55.
• But Dunklin came up clutch with back-to-back buckets. A jumper with 2:59 left tied the game, as he tallied a steal on the Eagles next possession and took it coast to coast for the layup and the lead.
• Up four with 1:22 remaining, Embry-Riddle still had fight hitting a 3-pointer with 47 seconds left to bring their deficit to one.
• After a Dunklin missed layup, the Eagles had time for one more shot, but their game-winner fell short and the Hawks survived.
• The Hawks shot 36 percent from the floor as the Eagles shot a 45 percent clip.
• SDC led the turnover battle, only turning it over 13 times compared to Embry-Riddle's 21.
• Dunklin scored a game-high 21 points. English was the only other in double figures with 14 points.
• Josh Richardson was a beast down low with 12 rebounds and two points.
STAT OF THE GAME:
• Out of the 42 rebounds in the game for SDC, 18 of them were offensive boards.
• Dunklin's steal with and layup late in the game gave the Hawks the lead and momentum to carry out the one-point win.
• "A win is a win," Head Coach Edgar Mendez said. " That's what I told the boys. There is no reason for me to be upset. We won and let's enjoy it. Last year we only had six wins. We are at five already so I am happy about that."
• SDC will travel to Phoenix to take on the No. 4 Firestorm of Arizona Christian on Tuesday. Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m.
By Elias Totah